I don’t usually watch the Oscars–or any such ceremonies–but this year’s installment promised such fireworks that like most people I had to tune in. Here are some things that occurred to me:
- Chris Rock is really funny. As if you didn’t know, right? And he handled the race issue with more wit than taste. Guess you knew that, too.
- Great to see Ennio Morricone finally get his Oscar. He’s only deserved one since 1966. Not that anyone was ready for the soundtrack to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, which sounded like an import from an alien world–and not one you’d necessarily find welcoming.
- They needed another acting award for Tom Hardy. Seriously, who else had four spectacular performances in just three movies: Mad Max: Fury Road, The Revenant, and Legend. Playing both halves of the sociopath Kray twins may be a stunt for the ages, even if the movie turns out not to be.
- Men are so lucky that, as Chris Rock put it, they all wear the same outfit. Some of the women’s outfits were spectacular, while others were, um, spectacular, all right. Your results may vary.
- The old adage that everyone’s a winner may just be true. Think about it: Fury Road won just about all the technical categories, Revenant won for Director and Lead Actor, and Spotlight won for Best Film. Can’t share the love much more than that.